Running Code Saturne on Windows

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
jgd23

Re: Running Code Saturne on Windows

Post by jgd23 »

Hello,

To resume, for a run on Windows, which version of each software do you use?

Code Saturne 4.0.5 with Salome 7.6 for MED 3.0?

I work with Windows 10 (mhassab?)

Best regards

Julien
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I don' remember which version of MED the Windows build of Code_Saturne 4.0 is generated with (I assume 3.0, might be 3.1).

Salome 7.6 includes MED 3.0, Salome 7.7. MED 3.1, and Salome 7.8 MED 3.2. To both read meshes from SALOME to Code_Saturne and postprocess Code_Saturne output in SALOME using the MED format, you need the same version of MED (though for posprocessing, you can also use the EnSight format, which has no similar constraints).

Regards,

Yvan
sdn

Post by sdn »

Hello,
I'm running code saturne in windows. I want to set density using temperature function in fluid properties using subroutine like in heated cavity square. But, I can't find the option for "user subroutine". Do you have any other ways to use the subroutine in windows?
Sincerely,
Saaddin
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

There is no difference for this aspect between Windows and Linux. In the GUI, simply define the property as "variable", with any definition (for example a constant). Then use the appropriate user subroutine, copying the cs_user_physical_properties.f90 file from SRC/REFERENCE to SRC and adapting it.

Regards,

Yvan
jgd23

Post by jgd23 »

Hello,

Is it a good choice to install code Saturne syrthes and salome via the ubuntu Windows subsystem ?
I read Somewhere that GUI functionnalities are not well supported, it is right?

Best regards

Julien
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The GUI / graphical parts are not supported in theory, but a colleague tested adding an X server to Windows and it seemed to work(I don't remember which server he found, but you can search for "windows subsystem linux x server" on your favorite search engine and should find 2 or 3 suggestions). This has not been tested recently, so we are interested in your feedback. An alternative solution would be to run just the GUI part natively on Windows, using the WSL for the rest (I wanted to test this but have not had the time to do it yet).

There is one issue with the Ubuntu package for Code_Saturne, so using the package can be useful to obtain prerequisites, but recompiling it is recommended (otherwise user-defined sources are ignored).

Best regards,

Yvan