heat transfer in water fluid with steam

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
kathi

heat transfer in water fluid with steam

Post by kathi »

hello,

I would be very thankful if You can help me to decide about the suitability of Code-Saturne (eventually coupled with Code-Aster and/or Syrthes) for the following problem:

Simulation of the cooling-down process of a metal part. The part is as such high temperature that steam will develp in the fluid at the border surfaces to the part. The cooling down will last only about 10 seconds (-> strong temperature gradients, thermal shock).

Questions:
(Q1) can the development of the steam (which will slowdown the cooling) be considered with Code-Saturne? I read that C_S cannot handle multiphase flows (http://code-saturne.org/cms/documentation/faq), but could there be a workaround?

(Q2) or could this be done with SYRTES if not with C_S?

(Q3) Coupling to Code-Aster for the heat conduction in the part:
I did not find any documentation how to do that. Or it is not very promising, like this:
http://www.code-aster.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?id=15835
Does somebody know a tutorial or something similar?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards, kathi
Brian Angel

Re: heat transfer in water fluid with steam

Post by Brian Angel »

Hello,

The best approach for modelling conjugate heat transfer problems is to use Code_Saturne coupled with SYRTHES . Here, I'm assuming that you are just wanting to model the temperature field inside the solid and the heat exchange with the fluid.

Assuming that you are cooling the solid with water:

1) Code_Saturne has a Lagrangian model for modelling two phase flows but it cannot model the generation of steam from the water phase (assuming that you are cooling with water). For this you will need to code your own boiling or other such model in the appropriate Code_Saturne user routines. You might also need to add in steam tables to account for the properties of steam based on local temperatures and pressures.

2) SYRTHES is only used for modelling the heat transfer in the solid.

3) Unless you are wanting to model the solid in more detail, i.e. the stresses inside the solid at or near the cooling surface, possible deflection of the solid structure, etc., you do not need to use Code_Aster. The Code_Saturne - SYRTHES combination is adequate as explained above.

Other support engineers might also be able to elaborate in more detail.

Regards,

Brian Angel.
kathi

Post by kathi »

thank You, Brian, for Your help. Do You also a hint for me to my question (3), because I need Code-Aster to calculate the residual stresses and deformations in the casted?
Regards, kathi
best regards

kathi
Brian Angel

Post by Brian Angel »

Hello kathi,

You will need Code_Aster to calculate the stresses and deformations in the solid as neither Code_Saturne nor SYRTHES will do this type of calculation. It is possible to couple Code_Aster and Code_Saturne but I have never tried myself nor a 3 way coupling between Code_Saturne, SYRTHES and Code_Aster.

I would suggest that you look at the Code_Aster web site and forum in order to see how this might be done. There is a tutorial on this Code_Saturne site which explains how to set up a Code_Saturne - SYRTHES calculation.

Regards,

Brian Angel.