How to make the additional writer active?

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
MartianDuan

How to make the additional writer active?

Post by MartianDuan »

Dear developer and users,

I was trying to define a additional writer to outpur the results and the domain every three time step.

The following the the lines I putted in the cs_user_postprocess.c, (The subroutine is attached as well.)

/* Default writer time dependency */

fvm_writer_time_dep_t time_dep = FVM_WRITER_FIXED_MESH;

/* Default time step or physical time based output frequencies */

bool output_at_end = true;
int ntchr = -1;
double frchr = -1.0;

/* Default output format and options */

const char format_name[] = "EnSight Gold";
const char format_options[] = "";

if (true)
cs_post_define_writer(-1, /* writer_id */
"results_us", /* writer name */
"postprocessing", /* directory name */
format_name,
format_options,
time_dep,
output_at_end,
ntchr,
frchr);

/* Define additional writers */
/* ------------------------- */

if (true)
cs_post_define_writer(1, /* writer_id */
"cc", /* writer name */
"postprocessing", /* directory name */
format_name,
format_options,
time_dep,
output_at_end,
frchr);

The default writer works perfectly fine. But I did not find any outcome from the additional writer.

Do you have any ideas? Do I need to modify any other subroutines to active the additional writer?

Thanks in advance,

Yu.

P.S.: I am using code_saturne 3.0.1 currently.
Attachments
cs_user_postprocess.c
(24.75 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: How to make the additional writer active?

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You also need to associate the writer to one or more meshes. Whether using the GUI or cs_user_postprocess.c, this is done in the postprocessing meshes definition.

Regards,

Yvan
MartianDuan

Post by MartianDuan »

Hi Yvan,

Sorry for bothering you on this topic again.

I try to save the result like 'temperautre or averaged temperature' on the boudaries.

I specified a new wirter and try to associated with the boudary of the mesh.

But it shows some followings compile errors:

/fs3/e01/e01/mep10yd/Yu_CS/scppipe/stage4_02/RESU/20141221-1401/src_saturne/cs_user_postprocess.c:450:33: error: called object is not a function or function pointer
"mesh" /* mesh name */

/fs3/e01/e01/mep10yd/Yu_CS/scppipe/stage4_02/RESU/20141221-1401/src_saturne/cs_user_postprocess.c:449:5: error: too few arguments to function 'cs_post_define_surface_mesh'
cs_post_define_surface_mesh(-2, /* mesh_id of main boundary mesh */
^

I had attached the relevant documents, can you please have a look?

The mesh name of the mesh is just 'mesh'. The name of the boundaries in my mesh is 'inlet', 'outlet', 'wall1', 'wall2', 'wall3', 'wall4'.

I can't thank enough for all of your help

Good Xmas and happy new year.

Yu.
Yvan Fournier wrote:Hello,

You also need to associate the writer to one or more meshes. Whether using the GUI or cs_user_postprocess.c, this is done in the postprocessing meshes definition.

Regards,

Yvan
Attachments
compile.log
(29.05 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
cs_user_postprocess.c
(24.73 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

On line 451 of cs_user_postprocess.c, you are missing a "," before the comment, so you have a syntax error after that.

Regards,

Yvan
MartianDuan

Post by MartianDuan »

Hi Yvan,

Thanks for your correction. It did solve the compilation problem.

But the calculation was not started if I choose to turn on the definition of post-processing mesh.

It seems the mesh element of the flow domian was not included in the calculation.

Can you please have a look at my sub-routine and the listing.log? I am using code_saturne 3.0.3.

If there is some bugs in this version. Can I use the method as recording the wall shear stress? Can I get the information of wall temperature from 'clptur.f90'.

Thank for all of your help,

Yu

On line 451 of cs_user_postprocess.c, you are missing a "," before the comment, so you have a syntax error after that.

Regards,

Yvan
Attachments
listing.log
(35.63 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
cs_user_postprocess.c
(25.08 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Could you run with no cs_user_extra_operations.c file so as to see if you also have the error ?

Otherwise, could you run in a debug build to obtain the line numbers in the backtrace ?

Regards,

Yvan
MartianDuan

Post by MartianDuan »

Hi Yvan,

Thanks for the reply.

But I did not include the 'cs_user_operations.c' in my simulation.

The debug build is related to the installation stage isn't it?

I am using the super computer archer. I am not sure wether I can ask them to do that or not. I will let you know if they agreed to do it.

Do you have any other solutions? Such as defined a user_array to record the boundary temperature from some subroutines?

Thanks again,

Yu.

Could you run with no cs_user_extra_operations.c file so as to see if you also have the error ?

Otherwise, could you run in a debug build to obtain the line numbers in the backtrace ?

Regards,

Yvan
MartianDuan

Post by MartianDuan »

Hi Yvan,

I just found that there is as subrouting called as 'post_boundary_temperature' and 'post_boundary_nusselt' subroutine. They are mentioned in subroutine 'use_field_parameters'. The detail show that this two subroutines may calculate the temperature and nusselts number on the wall. But I did not find the way to activated them. Do you have any idea?

Again, once I activate the subrountine. how can I get the averaged temperauture value? Do I need to do it in the 'cs_user_extra_operations'.

Thanks very much and good Xmax,

Yu.

Regards,

Yvan
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Just "grep" the code sources and you will find those routines being called in src/base/dvvpst.f90. This constitutes an example of how they are used (but, as mentioned in cs_user_parameters.f90, you need to activate some keywords for T+ to be saved, unless you already activated the boundary temperature output with the GUI, in which case is is pre-set).

Why do you not use the GUI more ? It would make things simpler.

Also, what average temperature do you want ? Average in time, or in space ?.

Regards,

Yvan
MartianDuan

Post by MartianDuan »

Hi Yvan,

Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful.

I activate the keywords for 't_plus' in the cs_user_parameters.f90. But I came across some problom on allocating the memory for the variable named as 'Var' (The so called 'Var' require 1.72E10 GB memory). I had not clue about it. The 'cs_user_parameter.f90', 'listing.log' and 'error.log' are attached. Can you please have a look.

Meanwhile, the reason that why I do not using GUI to set up the case. Because I need to use the supercomputer ARCHER located in UK to run my simulation. It does not support GUI. I do not want to ask them to update the code_saturne from V3.0.3 to V3.0.5, since it can be a time consuming procedure and my deadling is approaching.

I need to record the 'time average' temperature. Is that any possible just modify some existing subroutine in code_saturne to achieve it?

Best wishes,

Yu.

Just "grep" the code sources and you will find those routines being called in src/base/dvvpst.f90. This constitutes an example of how they are used (but, as mentioned in cs_user_parameters.f90, you need to activate some keywords for T+ to be saved, unless you already activated the boundary temperature output with the GUI, in which case is is pre-set).

Why do you not use the GUI more ? It would make things simpler.

Also, what average temperature do you want ? Average in time, or in space ?.

Regards,

Yvan
Attachments
cs_user_parameters.f90
(101.67 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
listing.log
(36.47 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
error.log
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 182 times