Restart v2.0.5

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
knewlands

Restart v2.0.5

Post by knewlands »

Hello,

I'm using version 2.0.5 and I have a doubt on the use of RESTART files. I'm sorry for the basic nature of my question, but I haven't been able to find an explicit answer in previous posts. I read in a tutorial for version 2.0.0 that to perform a restart, the RESTART directory should be copied from RESU to DATA, but I have not been doing this. I set up the calculation through the GUI as much as I can and, on a workstation, when choosing a RESTART from Calculation Management/Restart it automatically takes me to the RESU directory. I then save the .xml file and launch the runcase script. This has worked for me in the past when restarting an LES from a preliminary RANS or from another LES and my results seemed consistent.

I have recently tried to restart a steady state RANS on a cluster and the results are not what I expected. I followed the same procedure and selected the RESTART file from the RESU directory. In all cases, I did not alter RESTART_IN=$DATA/RESTART in the runcase script. I never questioned my method until now, as the restart time step or iteration number has always been correct.

Could you please tell me if I have been wrong to select the RESTART folder from the RESU directory as opposed to copying it in the DATA directory? Or should I follow a different procedure when using a cluster?

Kindest regards,

Kristin
Yvan Fournier

Re: Restart v2.0.5

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

In version 2.0, the GUI should be creating a symbolic link from the directory in RESU to DATA, so you should not need to copy things yourself (3.0 does a cleaner job by explicitely managing the path, which keeps a better trace of the checkpoint used i the next run).

On the cluster, can you run "ls -l" in DATA that the link is correct (after using/saving/leaving the GUI) ?

Also, if you define your setup on a workstation and run it on a cluster with a diferent filesystem, you would obviously need to manually copy the restart directory from RESU to DATA/RESTART instead of using a symbolic link; running the GUI directly on the cluster should work just the same as on a workstation, though.

Regards,

Yvan