pp compile issues

This forum is dedicated to Syrthes related issues, as the Syrthes tool does not have its own forum.
ywan459

pp compile issues

Post by ywan459 »

Hi there,

I have a compiling issues with the syrthes-pp modulus. Error stops whole compilation and did not produce syrthes-pp modulus. And I cannot run multi-process calculation (basically it showed the message of "cannot find syrthes-pp").

Please refer to the attached log files from the installation. It seems something wrong with scotch. My system is
1. Windows Subsystem Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on Windows 10.
2. Package: Debian OpenMPI Open MPI: 4.0.3

I have successfully compiled code_saturne 7.0 on this OS, and get lots of decent CFD results. Both code_saturne and syrthes GUIs works very fine as well. I am currently working coupling of syrthes and code_saturne for the better heat transferring analysis. This error really stops me.

I am not sure whether it is missing a lib or setup issue. Thanks for any helps in advance!.

Regards
ywan459
Attachments
setup.ini
(4.2 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
syrthesmpi.log
(143.64 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
pp.log
(93.8 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
ywan459

Re: pp compile issues

Post by ywan459 »

OK, I worked it out by myself. Not a perfect solution, but at least the solution enables me to run problem solution on Syrthes 5.0 with multi-processes.

I found the issue occurred when compiling with SCOTCH. I modified the makefile under syrthes-pp folder. Basically following the README instruction as below, and re-compile everything again.
### Some trouble with METIS or SCOTCH install ?

If you have any problem with METIS or SCOTCH install :
> - For serial calculations, you don't need METIS or SCOTCH : don't install them ! (see setup.ini file)
>
> - For parall calculations you need METIS _OR_ SCOTCH
> * in case of problems with METIS install, don't install it, edit the file
> **syrthesx.y/src/syrthes-pp/src/Makefile** and remove the following
> directives : -D_METIS_ , $(INC_METIS), $(LIBMETIS)
> * in case of problems with SCOTCH install, don't install it, edit the
> file **syrthesx.y/src/syrthes-pp/src/Makefile**
> and remove the compilation option -D_SCOTCH_ ,$(INC_SCOTCH), $(LIBSCOTCH)
When running the job, remember to change "Domain partitioning" in "Running options" tab to METIS. All done.

However, I do not know whether this solution would affect the coupling with code_saturne. My coupling case fails to run and I am still trying to debug the issue now.

Edit:

Ok I partially worked it out. This should not affect the coupling as both METIS and SCOTCH is only for partitioning mesh. Just make sure that we both choose METIS for code_saturne and syrthes in the running options.