Syrthes installation

This forum is dedicated to Syrthes related issues, as the Syrthes tool does not have its own forum.
lledeaut

Syrthes installation

Post by lledeaut »

Hello,

I am a new user of linux in general and I still discover this new operating system. I installed code_saturne (Development version based on Code_Saturne 5.2 and SALOME 8.5) on Ubuntu 18.04, with this link : https://www.salome-platform.org/contrib ... f_products.
I launch a simple case and it works fine (flow without syrthes). But I am interested in using Syrthes. Syrthes appears in salome and I can define a problem (no coupling with CFD) but I get this error when I run the case (see the files attached).

I have the folder : Code_syrthes-mpa_syrthes435qt5/arch/Linux_x86_64/bin & include & lib & share, so I guess Syrthes was installed with Code saturne, but I am not sure.

Do you have an idea where the problem is ?

Thank you for your help,

Ludovic
Attachments
stdout.txt
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
stderr.txt
(11.85 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: Syrthes installation

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The version you are using is probably built for another system than Ubuntu 18.04 (Ubuntu 16.04 if I remember), and the Syrthes installer of that version might have kept binary files from other builds (the one we have on the code_saturne in the prerequisites section website is slightly better).

I am not even sure Syrthes works correctly on that binary on Ubuntu 16.04. It is tested on EDF Debian 8 and 9 builds, but do not support it beyond that (there is a Syrthes team, but they are not active on external support so far as I know).

We started building an Ubuntu 18.04 version, but have done this on and off (with low priority), so do not have that yet. I'll probably try to build directly for Ubuntu 20.04 when Salome 9.5 comes out (in about a month), but I won't promise anythinf for Ubuntu 18.04 at this stage, so compiling from sources may take a bit longer initially, but is the guaranteed "portalble" solution.

Best regards,

Yvan
lledeaut

Post by lledeaut »

Hello Yvan,

Thanks for your quick answer. If I understand correctly, the best (even the only) way to use Syrthes is with Debian 8 or 9 (for now)?

I understand that coupling code saturne and code aster is possible. Salome meca 2017 work fine in my linux. I will maybe just try to launch a case with code aster for the solid and code saturn for the fluid.

Best regards,

Ludovic
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Actually, you can use Syrthes on any Linux variant if you recompile it from sources (https://www.code-saturne.org/cms/sites/ ... _29.tar.gz).

Otherwise, if you are going for binaries only, yes, Debian 8 or 9 is needed.

Best regards,

Yvan
lledeaut

Post by lledeaut »

Hello,

Thanks for the folder. But that's not really clear to me. Should I just take your folder and install it using the libraries already installed with the binairies (hdf5, med, mpi...) or start over and install salome then code saturn then syrthes ?

Best regards,

Ludovic
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

As long as you use the same MPI library as code_saturne (since it is used for coupling), tou should be able to reinstall only Syrthes.

Best regards,

Yvan
lledeaut

Post by lledeaut »

Hello,

I think there is two kind of mpi installed : Openmpi-bin and MPI-default-bin. How do I know which one is used by code saturne ?

Best regards,

Ludovic
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

On Debian-based systems such as Ubunto, MPI default is useful when multiple MPI libraries are installed (such as Open MPI and MPICH). IF you only have Open MPI, then MPI-default probably points to that, so they are the same.

Otherwise, inside the code_saturne install, under etc/code_saturne.cfg, the MPI execution (mpiexec) may be specified. If it is, the MPI matching that should be the correct one. If it is not specified, than the MPI build matching the "mpiexec" command in your environment is the correct one.

But in you case, you probably have only Open MPI, so no noeed to worry.

Best regards,

Yvan