From code_saturne, the release schedule is as follows, using a vx.y.z versioning scheme:
- A stable version, vx.0, under quality assurance, every 2 years:
- Maintained for 4 years, and retired when the (x+2) version is released. For example, when version 7.0.0 was released, the 5.0 series was retired.
- Intermediate versions every 6 months: x.1, x.2 and x.3
- These versions are maintained for 1 year or less: version x.1 is retired when version x.3 is released, and both version x.2 and x.3 are retired when version (x+1).0 is released.
- Corrective releases x.y.z are released throughout the life cycle of version x.y, when needed