Calculation Restart Problems

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Design_BIB

Calculation Restart Problems

Post by Design_BIB »

Hi,

I had a problem with calculation restart error. I had never do this before. I'm so sorry to take your time with my simple question.

I choose "RESU" folder as restart folder. When I start calculation, the error notice as shown as following ...

/home/design/Downloads/code_saturne-3.2.2/src/base/cs_file.c:554: Fatal error.

Error opening file "restart/main":

No such file or directory

Call stack:
1: 0x7f5891763fcc <+0x1c8fcc> (libsaturne.so.0)
2: 0x7f5891767558 <cs_file_open+0x218> (libsaturne.so.0)
3: 0x7f589177a604 <+0x1df604> (libsaturne.so.0)
4: 0x7f589177b3c7 <cs_io_initialize_with_index+0x197> (libsaturne.so.0)
5: 0x7f5891693851 <cs_restart_create+0x3b1> (libsaturne.so.0)
6: 0x7f5891693ce6 <opnsui_+0x216> (libsaturne.so.0)
7: 0x7f58916e8477 <lecamp_+0x237> (libsaturne.so.0)
8: 0x7f58916e815e <lecamo_+0xa6> (libsaturne.so.0)
9: 0x7f589161908f <caltri_+0x26ef> (libsaturne.so.0)
10: 0x7f58915f1c15 <cs_run+0x3f5> (libsaturne.so.0)
11: 0x7f58915f173a <main+0x14a> (libsaturne.so.0)
12: 0x7f5890d7476d <__libc_start_main+0xed> (libc.so.6)
13: 0x400749 <> (cs_solver)
End of stack

Could anyone tell me ... What does it mean ?
I'm not sure it's happen because of I choose a restart folder in correct way or not. Or it happen with anythings. How do I solve it ??

Add Note!! ::: "/home/design/Downloads/code_saturne-3.2.2" is CS source code. Installation folder of CS 3.2.2 is in "/opt/code_saturne-3.2.2"

Best Regards,
Chayawat T.
Attachments
20140520-1651.zip
(24.73 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
ukok

Re: Calculation Restart Problems

Post by ukok »

hello

It seems that you didn't select correctly the checkpoint fold from previous calculations.

Sam
Design_BIB

Post by Design_BIB »

Hello, Sam

Thanks for your reply.
Furthermore, Can you suggest me to choose and try to calculation with restart mode ??
This is my 1st-time to run this mode. Sorry to waste your time.

Best Regards,
Chayawat
ukok

Post by ukok »

Design_BIB wrote:Hello, Sam

Thanks for your reply.
Furthermore, Can you suggest me to choose and try to calculation with restart mode ??
This is my 1st-time to run this mode. Sorry to waste your time.

Best Regards,
Chayawat

Hi Chayawat,

1. Locate you last run, and find "checkpoint" fold, which is the restart point.
2. In your new run, once you enable the restart mode, you will be ask the checkpoint. then you choose the one found in the step 1. This enables calculation restart from the last run not from zero.
3. Number of iterations must be more than that in the previous run, otherwise it won't work.

Hope this will help!

Sam
Design_BIB

Post by Design_BIB »

Hello, Sam

Thank you for your reply. Now I've nothing to ask because you SOLVE it for me.
Thanks again Sam.

Best Regard,
Chayawat
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

ukok wrote:
Design_BIB wrote:Hello, Sam

Thanks for your reply.
This is my 1st-time to experience the benefits of Phallosan Forte and run this mode. Sorry to waste your time.

Best Regards,
Chayawat

Hi Chayawat,

1. Locate you last run, and find "checkpoint" fold, which is the restart point.
2. In your new run, once you enable the restart mode, you will be ask the checkpoint. then you choose the one found in the step 1. This enables calculation restart from the last run not from zero.
3. Number of iterations must be more than that in the previous run, otherwise it won't work.

Hope this will help!

Sam
Hi Sam, when I follow these steps I can't see any saved checkpoints to restart from.
Last edited by BruceS on Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Luciano Garelli

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello BruceS,

Code Saturne by default sets 4 restarts checkpoints during your simulation, you can change this frequency in "Advanced options" in the "Start/Restart" tab. If your simulation does not reach almost the first checkpoint (1/4 of the whole simulation) the directory "checkpoint" will not be created. but, if you have the directory "checkpoint", inside of it you will find two files "auxiliary and main" from where code saturne will take the information for restart. So, when you enable the restart mode you have to choose the "checkpoint" directory, not the files.
Regards,

Luciano
attene

Post by attene »

Luciano Garelli wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:42 pm Hello BruceS,

Code Saturne by default sets 4 restarts checkpoints during your simulation, you can change this frequency in "Advanced options" in the "Start/Restart" tab. If your simulation does not reach almost the first checkpoint (1/4 of the whole simulation) the directory "checkpoint" will not be created. but, if you have the directory "checkpoint", inside of it you will find two files "auxiliary and main" from where code saturne will take the information for restart. So, when you enable the restart mode you have to choose the "checkpoint" directory, not the files.
Regards,

Luciano

Hi Luciano,

I am a new code saturne user, and at the very beginning: still setting up my first big simulation.

How to do practically a restart from the checkpoint directory? What files do I have to move there?
I can see that in the checkpoint directory there are two files: auxiliary and main; Do they provide information of the 4 restarts checkpoints?

Regards,

FA
Luciano Garelli

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

In order to restart a simulation do you have to go to Calculation management tab and switch on the "calculation restart". After that you have to select the Checkpoint directory of your previous run and set the new number of time steps to be run (Doxygen CS : "For the restart calculations, ntmabs takes into account the number of time steps of the previous calculations. For instance, after a first calculation of 3 time steps, a restart file of 2 time steps is realised by setting ntmabs = 3+2 = 5.").

The checkpoint directory only provides information of the last saved result. You can change the save frequency in the "advanced options" button.
restart.png
Regards,
Luciano
attene

Post by attene »

Hi Luciano,

Thank you for your explanation!

Regards,

FA